DFW International Airport Kicks Off Summer Travel Season With Cool Deals, New Shops & Restaurants for Memorial Day Passengers
Holiday Helpers Keep Families Refreshed As Airport's "Year of the International Traveler" Shows Solid Results
DFW International Airport, Texas (May 22, 2008) Amid summer travel predictions of skyrocketing fuel prices, crowded flights and higher airfares, DFW International Airport rolled out free donuts and coffee, parking deals, international musical entertainment and family giveaways as Memorial Day passengers began holiday travel today.
Holiday Helpers clad in concert-style T-shirts assisted passengers while touting DFW's 2008 "Year of the International Traveler" campaign. And summer travelers got their taste of new passenger amenities at DFW - from free internet/power kiosks and tech supplies to candy and tequila.
"Our employees realize that summer travel is going to be challenging and are very servicedriven to make the experience at DFW as comfortable and stress-free as possible," says Jeff Fegan, CEO of DFW. "The Airport cannot control weather or delays but we certainly work hard to keep passengers informed and offer extra care during those tough times."
And today passengers found Chinese lion dancers, steel drummers and bagpipers to serenade them through the terminals and families were treated to coloring books, crayons and other kid-friendly giveaways.
DFW is forecasting that approximately 835,000 guests will pass through DFW during the Memorial Day Holiday May 23 - 27, about 40,000 passengers less than in 2007.
However, for the summer travel season DFW is forecasting that the Airport will serve 1.69 million international passengers, an increase of 2.5 percent over last year. The expansion is due to new international service to Europe as a result of the U.S. – E.U. Open Skies Agreement.
"Open Skies has had an immediate, positive impact for DFW passengers," said Joe Lopano, DFW's executive vice president of Marketing and Terminal Management. "The addition of KLM's new service to Amsterdam and the switch to London Heathrow from London Gatwick by American Airlines and British Airways has tapped pent-up demand. And Mexicana has added a third daily round trip to Mexico City and Korean Air has added a fourth weekly flight to Seoul. International Terminal D continues to draw new airlines and passengers with its style and service."
A Roundup of Important Holiday Travel Information from DFW:
• DFW is considered a national leader in the 'irregular operations' arena and is being modeled by other airports on how to take care of passengers during weather cancellations and other major delays
• DFW is distributing complimentary amenity kits to passengers who might have to spend the night at the airport during a national weather event. The kits consist of toothpaste, deodorant, hand sanitizer, razor, comb and shampoo
• DFW also distributes diapers and baby formula free of charge to passengers in need during major cancellations or delays
• DFW now issues 'passenger advisories' on www.dfwairport.com to communicate airport status during major cancellations or delays, including information on which airport concessions will be open all night, security checkpoints available overnight, and links to DFW-area hotels
• DFW was recently named for a second consecutive year "Best Airport for Customer Service in North America" by an Airports Council International survey of passengers. In airports with over 40 million passengers, DFW ranked #2 in the world for customer service, behind Hong Kong
• Dunkin’ Donuts provided complimentary donuts and coffee distributed by DFW's Holiday Helpers today. The Holiday Helpers campaign is made up of employee volunteers and is in its seventh year. The group was born after 9/11 to assist passengers during major travel holidays and has become a DFW tradition
DFW Parking Deals
DFW is honoring the military this holiday week with seven days of free parking at the Airport’s Express South lot. Military members can pick up a coupon at the Express South lot with a valid military identification. The coupons will be distributed May 21 – 25 while supplies last.
DFW’s own Valet Parking service will be offering valet service for passengers arriving at DFW on May 22 for $10 per day.
In addition, DFW will be distributing $10 per day parking coupons for all Terminal lots at all Remote and Express parking lots May 23 – 25 between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
May 23: DFW kicks off its Summer Parking Rewards upon entry at the toll plazas. The first offer is a free dessert with purchase of an entrée at Cool River, Cantina Laredo or Champps located in International Terminal D. The dessert promotion will run through June and new offers will follow in July and August.
New services and amenities
Free Power and Wired Internet - Near Gates A20 and B35 Check your email or charge up your laptop or cell phone FREE at gates A20 and B35. DFW's Free Power and Internet stations offer dataports for laptops as well as internet kiosks for those not traveling with a computer
Elizabeth Arden ZoomShop - Near Gate C27 ZoomSystems will debut new Elizabeth Arden beauty assortment kits at DFW on May 29. DFW will be the first airport location in the world to carry this exclusive assortment. The Elizabeth Arden ZoomShop in DFW currently sells individual beauty products. The new kits will make it easy for busy travelers to pick up last-minute beauty gifts or essential products they may have left at home.
Natalie's Candy Bar - Near Gates A33, B33 and D16 Mixing excitement and entertainment with high-quality offerings and a colorful store, Natalie's features more than 300 varieties of candies, including a bulk selection of chocolates, sours, gummies, jubes, and jells, in addition to a generous assortment of sugar-free treats, nuts and health-conscious trail mixes
Tequileria - Near Gates A16 and E12 Exciting Mexican cuisine, featuring flat skirt steak, nachos, tacos and quesadillas, as well as delicious Mexican breakfast choices. Guests can also enjoy a wide selection of tequilas, margaritas and other unique beverage creations
Lonestar Attitude - Near Gate C33 Lonestar Attitude captures the spirit of Texas in its upscale line of southwestern clothing and accessories. Customers will enjoy shopping the beautifully decorated store and seeing the unique merchandise, all offered with value in mind
DFW Summer 2008 Travel Tips
• Pack light and check your airline's website for carry on and checked baggage limits and fees
• Remember the Transportation Security Administration's 3-1-1 rules on carry-on liquids and gels (www.tsa.gov/311)
• Carry on medications so you have them available at all times
• Take DFW's Skylink (www.dfwairport.com/cdp/skylink) to other terminals and check out shopping and restaurants if you have extra time
• Carry photocopies of your passport or other identification
• Look for DFW's kid-friendly Pepsi Junior Flyer's Clubs in Terminal B, gate 12 and Terminal C, gate 14